Introduction to Nitric Oxide (NO)
Nitric Oxide (NO) is a colorless, non-flammable, poisonous, oxidizing gas with an irritating odor. Also known as Nitrogen Monoxide, it is an important intermediate in the chemical industry. It is a by-product of combustion of substances in air, as in vehicle engines and fossil fuel power plants. Nitric Oxide should not be confused with Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2), although it is rapidly oxidized in air to form Nitrogen Dioxide.
Nitric Oxide is extremely toxic when inhaled, and symptoms of over-exposure may not become apparent for up to 72 hours. Due to the gas being an oxidizer, it will support and enhance combustion. Personnel working with Nitric Oxide must proceed with extreme caution and have proper gas leak detection, especially in enclosed areas.
When present in high concentrations through inhalation, Nitric Oxide may produce these symptoms:
- Blurred vision
- Muscle weakness
- Oxygen deficiency
When researching NO gas detection solutions, facility managers should be aware of the following NO exposure limits:
|25 ppm TWA||OSHA PEL (General Industry)|
|25 ppm TWA||OSHA PEL (Construction Industry)|
|25 ppm TWA||OSHA PEL (Maritime)|
|25 ppm TWA||ACGIH TLV|
|25 ppm TWA||NIOSH REL|
|100 ppm||NIOSH IDLH|